The Elfin Knight
No: 2; variant: 2G
- 'CAN you make me a cambrick shirt,
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Without any seam or needle work?
And you shall be a true lover of mine
- 'Can you wash it in yonder well,
Where never sprung water nor rain ever fell?
- 'Can you dry it on yonder thorn,
Which never bore blossom since Adam was born?
- 'Now you have askd me questions three,
I hope you'll answer as many for me.
- 'Can you find me an acre of land
Between the salt water and the sea sand?
- 'Can you plow it with a ram's horn,
And sow it all over with one pepper corn?
- 'Can you reap it with a sickle of leather,
And bind it up with a peacock's feather?
- 'When you have done, and finishd your work,
Then come to me for your cambrick shirt.'