Riddles Wisely Expounded
No: 1; variant: 1B
- THERE were three sisters fair and bright,
Jennifer gentle and rosemaree
And they three loved one valiant knight.
As the dew flies over the mulberry tree
- The eldest sister let him in,
And barred the door with a silver pin.
- The second sister made his bed,
And placed soft pillows under his head.
- The youngest sister, fair and bright,
Was resolved for to wed with this valiant knight.
- 'And if you can answer questions three,
O then, fair maid, I will marry with thee.
- 'What is louder than an horn,
And what is sharper than a thorn?
- 'Thunder is louder than an horn,
And hunger is sharper than a thorn.'
- 'What is broader than the way,
And what is deeper than the sea?'
- 'Love is broader than the way,
And hell is deeper than the sea.'
- . . . . .
'And now, fair maid, I will marry with thee.'