No: 17; variant: 17F
- IN Newport town this knight was born,
Hey lily loo, hey loo lan
And they've called him Young Hynd Horn.
Fal lal la, fal the dal the dady
- Seven long years he served the king,
For the love of his daughter Jean.
- He courted her through a wimble bore,
The way never woman was courted before.
- He gave her through a silver wand,
With three singing laverocks there upon.
- She gave him back a gay gold ring,
With three bright diamonds glittering.
- 'When this ring grows pale and blue,
Fair Jeanie's love is lost to you.'
- Young Hynd Horn is gone to sea,
And there seven long years staid he.
- When he lookd his ring upon,
It grew pale and it grew wan.
- Young Hynd Horn is come to land,
When he met an old beggar man.
- 'What news, what news doth thee betide?'
'No news, but Princess Jeanie's a bride.'
- 'Will ye give me your old brown cap?
And I'll give you my gold-laced hat.
- 'Will ye give me your begging weed?
And I'll give you my good grey steed.'
- The beggar has got on to ride,
But Young Hynd Horn's bound for the bride.