The Cruel Brother
No: 11; variant: 11K
- THERE were three ladies playing at ball,
Gilliver, Gentle, and Rosemary
There came three knights and looked over the wall.
Sing O the red rose and the white lilly
- The first young knight, he was clothed in red,
And he said, 'Gentle lady, with me will you wed?'
- The second young knight, he was clothed in blue,
And he said, 'To my love I shall ever be true.'
- The third young knight, he was clothed in green,
And he said, 'Fairest maiden, will you be my queen?'
- The lady thus spoke to the knight in red,
'With you, sir knight, I never can wed.'
- The lady then spoke to the knight in blue,
And she said, 'Little faith I can have in you.'
- The lady then spoke to the knight in green,
And she said, ''Tis at court you must seek for a queen.'
- The three young knights then rode away,
And the ladies they laughed, and went back to their play.