The Fause Knight on the Road
No: 3; variant: 3A
- 'O WHARE are ye gaun?'
Quo the fause knicht upon the road:
'I'm gaun to the scule,'
Quo the wee boy, and still he stude.
- 'What is that upon your back?'
'Atweel it is my bukes,'
- 'What's that ye've got in your arm?'
'Atweel it is my peit.'
- 'Wha's aucht they sheep?'
'They are mine and my mither's.'
- 'How monie o them are mine?'
'A' they that hae blue tails.'
- 'I wiss ye were on yon tree:'
'And a gude ladder under me.'
- 'And the ladder for to break:'
'And you for to fa down.'
- 'I wiss ye were in yon sie:'
And a gude bottom under me.'
- 'And the bottom for to break:'
'And ye to be drowned.'