The Elfin Knight
No: 2; variant: 2K
- MY father left me three acres of land,
Sing ivy, sing ivy
My father left me three acres of land.
Sing holly, go whistle and ivy
- I ploughed it with a ram’s horn,
And sowed it all over with one pepper corn.
- I harrowed it with a bramble bush,
And reaped it with my little penknife.
- I got the mice to carry it to the barn,
And thrashed it with a goose’s quill.
- I got the cat to carry it to the mill;
The miller he swore he would have her paw,
And the cat she swore she would scratch his face.