Riddles Wisely Expounded
No: 1; variant: 1[E]
- There was a lady in the West,
Lay the bank with the bonny broom
She had three daughters of the best.
Fa lang the dillo
Fa lang the dillo dillo dee
- There came a stranger to the gate,
And he three days and nights did wait.
- The eldest daughter did ope the door,
The second set him on the floor.
- The third daughter she brought a chair,
And placed it that he might sit there.
- ‘Now answer me these questions three,
Or you shall surely go with me.
- ‘Now answer me these questions six,
Or you shall surely be Old Nick’s.
- ‘Now answer me these questions nine,
Or youe shall surely all be mine.
- ‘What is greener than the grass?
What is smoother than crystal glass?
- ‘What is louder than a horn?
What is sharper than a thorn?
- ‘What is brighter than the light?
What is darker than the night?
- ‘What is keener than an axe?
What is softer than melting wax?
- ‘What is rounder than a ring?’
‘To you we thus our answers bring.
- ‘Envy is greener than the grass,
Flattery smoother than crystal glass.
- ‘Rumour is louder than a horn,
Hunger is sharper than a thorn.
- ‘Truth is brighter than the light,
Falsehood is darker than the night.
- ‘Revenge is keener than an axe,
Love is softer than melting wax.
- ‘The world is rounder than a ring,
To you we thus our answers bring.
- ‘Thus you have our answers nine,
And we never shall be thine.’